Monday, November 3, 2008

2. Botanic Gardens Week 2

29th Aug

These are the images I took at the Botanic Gardens, without a very clear idea of what i was looking for, but i tried to capture some textures, and I was particularly drawn to semi-aquatic plants, the co-dependency of tiny plants and huge trees, plants and water.

I did some random paintings, line drawings. I tried very hard thinking about how I could change the plants in my drawing to make them look different and more contemporary.
I didn't like what I was doing, and Tang later commented that they are mere 'floaters'. Indeed.. I had to work out what I wanted to do when I get home.

This is my chosen image. I liked the fact that both actual plants are floating on water and the reflection of land plants on water.


I tried doing pointillism, but it turned out so disgusting... Tang said, it sucks. I didn't think I was any good with this, so I threw it aside.

Here, I tried type. I used lots of 'o's, 'O's and '0's(zeros) in random order to achieve some textures. I thought it turned out quite well, but I knew I had to add something to it..

My classmate Mira said, that it resembled knit in some way. I thought it could be true.


I did this drawing of the lotus flower. As I did it, I thought it was childish.. and I still think it is.
Tang said I am trying too hard.

Paper-cutting is one of my favourite types of art. I find satisfaction in keeping the entire piece of paper as one even after cutting out the shapes.
I cut the shapes carefully, and tried to vary each element.
Tang said this was a good piece of work, and that it already is a print, and that I should focus on doing paper-cutting. I totally agreed!



No comments: