Saturday, October 4, 2008

32. Drawing the Horse, Thinking about Freedom

9th Oct

I drew horse faces and tried figuring how  happy horse looks like but none of them turned out well.




I've drawn more horses from side view and tried making them look like
 their running.. 
i mean galloping,
or at least they aren't standing still.

I tried it with paints


with cord which i think turned out a mess
in pencil- going in circles to represent the untangling of everything in my mind
from chaos to freedom



by accident, while photographing my works with the imac camera on photobooth,
i realized that the effect my of table lamp on the artworks was a brilliant effect.
I played around with it, moving the light source from the front of the artwork, to the back.
the light shining through the paper was beautiful and I though some kind of ombre effect would be a lovely addition to my otherwise dull horses. 
'
light from the back

light from the top

directing the lamp to the artwork from the back



trying out the different effects on photobooth


I thought about how I could translate my idea of lightness and translucency
I thought about flipbooks, old fashioned flip toys that you put the stick between your hands and rotate it by rolling it as if you were warming up your hands.. it looks something like this: 


I thought it would be great of my final designs have got a couple of layers of fabric and the same or similar image printed on them and printed one on top of the other.
The movement of the body would affect the image of the horse and it would appear as if it was moving since the layer moves away, or to the sides repeatedly as the wearer moves around. 
I got my artwork printed on multiple pieces of transparencies to test the idea.


No comments: